[asdf-devel] Last call before code freeze

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 29 19:49:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking in particular of the stuff in asdf-ecl. Juanjo, do you
> think it should be merged with ASDF itself? Especially in the light of
> it being semi-useful on other platforms where fasls can be
> concatenated? It might make things nicer if there is only one file
> needed for ASDF.

Yes, but the point is that none of the things needed by those other
platforms has been integrated and for these features to work properly we
need fasl files themselves to be purer than they are -- otherwise
concatenation does not suffice because the side effects of the system
definitions would not propagate to those concatenated fasls.

Furthermore, if the features I mentioned some time ago are introduced, such
as merging the load-source- and load-op operations, then we could
reimplement *all* of the ECL extensions in a much more different and much
more robust way.

So I would call for a not merging but also not further splitting at this
particular release.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC