[asdf-devel] ASDF2 cache control?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Apr 5 02:41:41 UTC 2010

On 4/4/10 Apr 4 -9:20 PM, Daniel Herring wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, Robert Goldman wrote:
>
>> Since output translation was not the default in Classic ASDF, would it
>> be reasonable to make this more user-friendly?  I.e., add something like
>>
>> (asdf:disable-output-translations)
>>
>> as an alias for
>>
>> (asdf:initialize-output-translations "/:")
>
> The complexity isn't much different to the user.  Assuming this is a
> stable API, I'd rather document "the right way" than introduce another
> function.  On the other hand, if asdf:i-o-t is in any way unstable, it
> would be nice for casual users to have a stable asdf:d-o-t.

I am sorry; I absolutely disagree.  The novice user, who just wants his
or her fasl files dropped down next to the source files, in the way
Classic ASDF used to do it, and in the way COMPILE-FILE does it, should
not be required to figure out what the "/:" above means.  This is a very
major backward compatibility loss.

I would in order prefer the following:

1.  disable output-translations by default.

2.  provide a clean disable-output-translations.

I would far prefer that, as in the old days, the novice user would
encounter output-translations only if he or she needs them (e.g., is an
oddball like me running multiple lisp implementations).

Best,
Robert