[asdf-devel] ASDF2 cache control?

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Mon Apr 5 02:20:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, Robert Goldman wrote:

> Since output translation was not the default in Classic ASDF, would it
> be reasonable to make this more user-friendly?  I.e., add something like
>
> (asdf:disable-output-translations)
>
> as an alias for
>
> (asdf:initialize-output-translations "/:")

The complexity isn't much different to the user.  Assuming this is a
stable API, I'd rather document "the right way" than introduce another
function.  On the other hand, if asdf:i-o-t is in any way unstable, it
would be nice for casual users to have a stable asdf:d-o-t.

As a side question, I've read through the latest manual and am having
trouble figuring out how to approximate the default behavior of
asdf-binary-locations with centralize-binaries set nil.  In short, the
fasl for a lisp file was put in a :IMPLEMENTATION subdirectory next to the
source file.

For LibCL, I'd either like to keep that behavior or store all fasls to a
central subdirectory.  Either way, the goal is to allow simple OS X-style
upgrades by simply deleting the old LibCL tree.  Any suggestions for the
:output-translations directive?

Thanks,
Daniel