[asdf-devel] summary proposal for COMMON_LISP_PATH and system search changes

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:23:24 UTC 2009

2009/9/27 Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>:
> Here's a use case for which I don't think this is good --- consider a
> person who uses more than a single Common Lisp implementation (e.g., ACL
> + SBCL + CCL).  Is it problematic to have a single COMMON_LISP_PATH
> environment variable?

Actually, we have at ITA some big application that can be compiled by
at least two Lisp implementations and would live quite happily with
the same COMMON_LISP_PATH, thanks to conditional compilation.

There might indeed (or then again might not) be a need to keep any
implementation-specific directories in the central registry
directories.

For instance, the current XCVB_PATH thingie allows you to specify "!"
for "the previous value of the path", that you can insert anywhere in
your PATH, e.g.
/home/fare/cl:!:/home/fare/.local/share/common-lisp

A tautology is a thing which is tautological.