[asdf-devel] updating ccl's bundled asdf

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Wed Sep 23 05:31:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> We bundle an ASDF version that's about a year old or so (1.130) with
> Clozure CL.
>
> If I want to bundle a newer ASDF with CCL, what version should it be?
> There seem to have been half a dozen releases in the past couple of
> months.  Would it be best to wait a little longer for things to settle
> down?

I'd wait a week or two; A-B-L was recently merged into ASDF, ECL has some
changes to merge in, ABCL may as well, and I have a minor tweak to submit
for Clisp on Windows and a SBCL change that needs discussion.

On the CCL front, I have an old ccl-init.lisp that contained

;;; Hook ASDF into REQUIRE
(defun asdf::module-provide-asdf (name)
   (handler-bind ((style-warning #'muffle-warning))
     (let* ((asdf::*verbose-out* (make-broadcast-stream))
            (system (asdf:find-system name nil)))
       (when system
         (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op name)
         t))))
(pushnew 'asdf::module-provide-asdf *module-provider-functions*)

I forget where I found this.  What do you think about putting (something
like) this into mainline ASDF?

Later,
Daniel