[asdf-devel] ASDF::COERCE-NAME string-downcases symbols, but lets strings untouched

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Sat Nov 21 11:14:33 UTC 2009

2009/11/21 Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>:

> (defun coerce-name (name)
>  (typecase name
>    (component (component-name name))
>    (symbol (string-downcase (symbol-name name)))
>    (string name)
>    (t (sysdef-error "~@<invalid component designator ~A~@:>" name))))
>
> I first thought this was some bad kludge to support modern-mode. But
> vc-annotate told me that was introduced by Nikodemus.

Digging a little deeper would have shown that I just normalized the
whitespace there... :)

The original commit that introduces COERCE-NAME is
4a6a10eda91d50d929d6e95285dddc7b7cdc553c by Dan B, and contains the
STRING-DOWNCASE in its current form -- but the comments on that commit
do not shed any light on the why, unfortunately.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus