[asdf-devel] ASDF 1.351 (and git confusion).

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Tue Jun 9 11:23:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Gary King wrote:

> I've pushed version 1.351 of asdf and various ls operations show that
> it is indeed on http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/public_html/
> asdf.git. When I clone this, however, I'm not seeing any of the recent
> changes.
>
> Does anyone know what else needs to happen?

I just took a look... and that's an odd setup.

By tradition, git repositories take one of two forms.

Normal:
project-name/
   .git/
     internal-git-files...
   checked-out-files...

Bare:
project-name.git/
   internal-git-files...

Looking at asdf, I see

public_html/
   asdf.git/
     internal-git-files...
   checked-out-files...
   non-git-files...

Thus when asdf.git/hooks/post-update runs (see below), it fails since many
git operations cannot find the git repository.  If you edit
asdf.git/config to say "bare = true", then this problem should be
resolved.  You may also want to manually delete the checked out files from
public_html.

As regarding post-update, see `man githooks` on how to enable this and
what it does.  After enabling it, cd back to asdf.git and run it manually;
the http update should then work properly.

- Daniel