[asdf-devel] ASDF:LOAD-SYS

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Jun 1 22:54:24 UTC 2009

Gary King wrote:
> Hi Svante,
>
> (Sorry for the slow response... sending to the ASDF list too)
>
> I sympathize with your question: "the most common thing to do with
> ASDF, why do we make that harder than necessary?" I believe that the
> answer would have been that ASDF is philosophically based on
> performing "operations" on "systems" and so it was better (in some,
> perhaps, Platonic sense) <smile>.
>
> I actually agree with you and think that we should add something like
>
> 	(load-op <system> &key ...)
>
> to ASDF public interface.
>
> If there isn't a lot of disagreement, I'll do that soon.

I'd like to second the motion.  I've been meaning to get around to
submitting a patch that would add LOAD-SYSTEM, COMPILE-SYSTEM and
TEST-SYSTEM, with the obvious expansions to asdf:oos.

Yes, I know that the user can do this him/herself, but given that the
user inevitably will want to add the commands seems to me a strong
argument for doing it.  After all, libraries are supposed to save work,
not make it!

While Kenny's review of his first experience with ASDF was, perhaps,
unhelpfully inflammatory, I do agree with the central thesis that it's
too hard to use ASDF out of the box and that we should make it easier.

Best regards,

Robert