[asdf-devel] Please test: merged ECL support, created asdf.asd

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:50:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, but then, I may as well drop the ECL-specific code I inserted to
> support upgrade from an older ASDF.

I would say that we can focus on ensuring that ASDF can be upgraded
for ECL >= 9.12.1 and leave the older versions out.

> Also, I deplore that errors occuring during initialization leave very
> little chance of debugging to the normal ECL user; I wouldn't even
> know where to insert break points for gdb.

The ECL command line arguments -load and -eval are not intended to
open a debugger. Their primary use is scripting, where you do not want
interaction with the user.

A different issue is whether you would get a debugger doing the same
thing in the command line -- probably the extensions (ASDF, sockets,
etc) are currently compiled without debug information, but I would
have to look it up.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC