Setting environment variables

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu May 4 09:46:14 UTC 2023

> On May 3, 2023, at 17:30, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 2, 2023, at 21:16, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> […]
>>
>> It's true that I use aio. TBH I've never understood the point of separating the contribs from the base. File size isn't an issue any more. What's the upside of splitting them apart? A bit of extra time indexing the classes in the jar?

Updated the rationale on

> From <https://github.com/armedbear/abcl/blob/master/doc/packaging-abcl.org>:

to read:

The standard ABCL build process as described in the build.xml file
and executed by the Ant build tool results in two artifacts: abcl.jar
and abcl-contrib.jar.  abcl.jar contains all the Java and Common
Lisp code necessary that constitute the ANSI conforming implementation
runtime, plus the latest stable ASDF. The abcl-contrib.jar (aka
contrib) artifact contains additional Common Lisp-only code that
extends the implementation in useful manners.

We create two separate jar artifacts in order to:

1. To place an upper bound of size and complexity of abcl.jar
regardless of what we package in abcl-contrib.jar. Having a restricted
core ANSI implementation plus ASDF enables us to:

1.1. More easily bootstrap ABCL when porting to JVM runtimes other
than the OpenJDK (Dalvik, CLR, )

1.2. Subsequently use ASDF to package ABCL extension components.

2. Clearly mark which parts of the code-base are covered under
GPLv2+classpath from those that may have other licensing terms. By
making the loading of contrib a dynamic operation, we defer possible
infringement to the User who redistributes the resulting jar artifact.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."