Challenge with ABCL on a commercial project: Licensing

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 14:44:57 UTC 2020

I second what Erik and Ville said.

I would be happy for ABCL to be used in a commercial project, and I would
not be personally against releasing a version of ABCL, including my
contributions, under a commercial license (whose profits could go towards
improving ABCL). But relicensing it under a permissive license, just so
that some business can make money from it for free without any form of
compensation, would be unfair in my opinion. I mean, Oracle itself applies
the very same licensing scheme to Java and the JVM: GPL with classpath
exception for OpenJDK, and a commercial license for Oracle JDK.

Cheers,
Alessio