Running Gendl with ABCL (was Re: ABCL 1.6.0 unleashed)

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat Nov 23 12:25:37 UTC 2019

> On Nov 22, 2019, at 16:42, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks Mark!
>
>  I'd like to get The Bear worked into Gendl's standard set of CL engines (at least for MacOS and Linux).

Great!  Please lemme know how I can help out when you get stuck.

>  So, in the release directory, what should I be going for: just abcl.jar ?

If you want to use a binary release, download either the “tar.gz” or “zip” archives, which contain both “abcl.jar” and “abcl-contrib.jar”.

Invoke via

	java -jar abcl.jar

[1.6.0-bin]: https://abcl.org/releases/1.6.0/abcl-bin-1.6.0.tar.gz

From source, the build of ABCL creates an “abcl” or “abcl.bat” script which wraps this invocation easily.  If you can deal with learning a little bit about Java tooling, you can use the ABCL-BUILD contrib to download the ‘ant’ tool which will allow you to build the source and use the resulting “abcl{,bat}” script to invoke the Bear.

[1.6.0-src]: https://abcl.org/releases/1.6.0/abcl-src-1.6.0.tar.gz

>  And, which Java distribution do you recommend to keep around, at least for MacOS and Linux?

All of them, but then again, I am actively developing the implementation.  If you have to choose, I would use the latest AdoptJDK openjdk11 implementation.

[adoptjdk]: https://adoptopenjdk.net/

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."