Putative abcl-1.5.0 release plan

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Jun 1 07:15:45 UTC 2017

In the "gee that took a lot longer than expected", I'd like to announce
my rough plan to release abcl-1.5.0 in the next week.

The biggest change in the implementation will be the dropping of Java 5
support since there is no longer a freely redistributable JDK5
implementation (it went with the Sun set…) to run the GPL'd ABCL upon.

We will endeavor to ensure that Java 6 continues to be supported as long
as the openjdk6 is actively maintained.

As always, comments and patches solicited.

Yers in CONS,
Mark

>From <http://abcl.org/trac/milestone/1.5.0>:

Milestones
==========

Drop Java 5; ensure Java [678] work well.

ABCL-CONTRIB
------------

ABCL-BUILD

Unified build system (using UIOP; able to install and use Ant, Maven,
and others via interactive restarts)

ABCL-INTROSPECT

Vastly improved support for Java object introspection (Used via as yet
unreleased SLIME patches https://github.com/easye/slime.git)

CL:DISASSEMBLE works "out of the box" with JAD (if installed on PATH),
or Objectweb

ABCL-AIO

Package arbitrary run-time dependencies (both Java and Lisp) in
'abcl-aio.jar' for customized deployment scenarios

ABCL-CONTRIB semantics described

(UNIMPLEMENTED) Bootstrap the config mechanism across the network if a
local abcl-contrib source tree cannot be located.

JSS

optimizations & features to support dynamic introspection

ABCL-ASDF

Robust Maven support