sys:run-program errs (both Windows & Linux)

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 02:34:05 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 6:15 AM Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/17 17:01, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> > While narrowing down the problems I was having with maven and cffi, I
> came
> > across the maven-embedded.lisp file
> > (
> >
> https://common-lisp.net/svn/armedbear/branches/1.4.0/contrib/abcl-asdf/maven-embedder.lisp
> > )
> > where I saw the sys:run-program.
> >
> > I now have ABCL installed on both Linux and Windows, and have problems on
> > both when issuing
> >
> > #+windows(sys:run-program "where.exe" nil)
> > #+linux(sys:run-program "which" nil)
> >
> > On Windows, the first call fails, while the second succeeds.  On Linux,
> the
> > call fails, and repeated calls also fail.
> >
> > Is this just me or can anyone else reproduce this?  Thanks.
> >
> > Transcript of the Windows 10 session (Linux follows)
> >
> > P:\>java -jar c:\mv-program-files\abcl-bin-1.4.0\abcl.jar --noinit
> > Armed Bear Common Lisp 1.4.0
> > Java 1.8.0_112 Oracle Corporation
> > Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
> > Low-level initialization completed in 0.274 seconds.
> > Startup completed in 4.28 seconds.
> > Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
> > CL-USER(1): (sys:run-program "which.exe" nil) ;;; *First invocation
> results
> > in error*
> > Error loading
> >
> jar:file:C:/mv-program-files/abcl-bin-1.4.0/abcl.jar!/org/armedbear/lisp/run-program.abcl
> > at line 166 (offset 8688)
> > #<THREAD "interpreter" {6A8B2747}>: Debugger invoked on condition of type
> > ERROR
> >   Class not found: java.lang.UNIXProcess  ;;; *ERROR*
>
> I think we need to fix SYS:RUN-PROGAM under Windows, file this as an
> active bug in Trac, and release abcl-1.4.1.  Alternatively you could try
> building ABCL from source (there's a [Dockerfile][] which will do it for
> ya, but you need to understand Docker Engine a bit to interact with it.
>
> [Dockerfile]: http://abcl.org/trac/browser/trunk/abcl/Dockerfile
>
> More when I get the time…

When I get time I will try to build ABCL from source using the instructions
on the web site.  From what I read, all I need to install is SDK and Ant.

Also, note that in the original email I wrote that I had an error on Linux
as well with Run Program.

For now, run-program bug is not a show-stopper for me on Windows.  Instead
it is the stack overflows when loading libraries from Slime (which I posted
on the Slime group).  In the meantime, I will do software development on
ABCL on Linux.

Mirko