sys:run-program errs (both Windows & Linux)

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Fri Jan 13 11:13:54 UTC 2017

On 1/11/17 17:01, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> While narrowing down the problems I was having with maven and cffi, I came
> across the maven-embedded.lisp file
> (
> https://common-lisp.net/svn/armedbear/branches/1.4.0/contrib/abcl-asdf/maven-embedder.lisp
> )
> where I saw the sys:run-program.
>
> I now have ABCL installed on both Linux and Windows, and have problems on
> both when issuing
>
> #+windows(sys:run-program "where.exe" nil)
> #+linux(sys:run-program "which" nil)
>
> On Windows, the first call fails, while the second succeeds.  On Linux, the
> call fails, and repeated calls also fail.
>
> Is this just me or can anyone else reproduce this?  Thanks.
>
> Transcript of the Windows 10 session (Linux follows)
>
> P:\>java -jar c:\mv-program-files\abcl-bin-1.4.0\abcl.jar --noinit
> Armed Bear Common Lisp 1.4.0
> Java 1.8.0_112 Oracle Corporation
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
> Low-level initialization completed in 0.274 seconds.
> Startup completed in 4.28 seconds.
> Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
> CL-USER(1): (sys:run-program "which.exe" nil) ;;; *First invocation results
> in error*
> Error loading
> jar:file:C:/mv-program-files/abcl-bin-1.4.0/abcl.jar!/org/armedbear/lisp/run-program.abcl
> at line 166 (offset 8688)
> #<THREAD "interpreter" {6A8B2747}>: Debugger invoked on condition of type
> ERROR
>   Class not found: java.lang.UNIXProcess  ;;; *ERROR*

I think we need to fix SYS:RUN-PROGAM under Windows, file this as an
active bug in Trac, and release abcl-1.4.1.  Alternatively you could try
building ABCL from source (there's a [Dockerfile][] which will do it for
ya, but you need to understand Docker Engine a bit to interact with it.

[Dockerfile]: http://abcl.org/trac/browser/trunk/abcl/Dockerfile

More when I get the time…