Build ABCL with Maven using these updated POM files.

Ralph Ritoch rritoch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 07:01:01 UTC 2015

Mark,

To answer your questions as best I can.

1)  Is it possible to merge the new main/pom.xml into top-level POM?
Creating a new directory just to separate the main ABCL build
instructions seems a little wrong to me.

This was done because there's no need for the abcl artifact to include the
contents of the
abcl-contrib artifact, or vice-versa.  It may be possible but it isn't
something I know how to do. Typically the sources for abcl would be
included in the main/ (abcl) module directory, so the wrongness is that the
file structure of ABCL was not designed for maven.

2)  Why not use the Ant instructions for building the actual abcl.jar
artifact?  It would be better for future maintenance not to have two
sets of instructions for constructing deployment artifacts.

If ant builds the jar I don't believe maven will pick it up. The
abcl-contrib that is deployed by maven isn't the one that is built by ant,
and is ignored. It is the one built by maven that's deployed. The ant
compiling process is dumping all of the compiled lisp files where maven
knows to find them for building the jar, and that is how it works. I don't
believe maven will pick up a jar generated by a third party process when
using the install or deploy targets.

3)  Can we make the GPG signing optional for the 'install' target?

Maven does provide the ability to create profiles so yes, a profile could
be created which contains the GPG signing so that only builds with that
profile would include the GPG signing.

I am not a maven expert, but this is what I was able to come up with in a
short time-span. I do expect these will be improved so if you want to
modify them and re-submit with improvements I have no objections.  The gpg
signing is required for submission to sonatype/central, and that is the
primary reason it is included.

Best Regards,
  Ralph Ritoch