[Armedbear-devel] How to load compiled Lisp stuff from a jar

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 20:46:32 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-17, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:

> 1)  ASDF systems which do not declare all their source code necessary to run
> within the ASDF grammar don’t package according to this method.

How would I know if this is the case? Can I inspect the .asd file and
see if something is present or absent?

> 2) Using the jar for the pre-compiled fasls does not work with the current
> incarnation of ASDF.  Instead, upon first use of the source packaged in the
> jar, ASDF will compile the fasls according to its output translations logic.

Hmm, are the fasls then written into the jar? or they are just sitting
in $HOME/.asdf-cache-something/something/something?

> Do you have an absolute need to load the pre-compiled FASLs from the jar, or
> can you take the hit of compilation on first use coupled with the requirement
> that the user have a writable home directory for your deployment scenario?

Well, my goal is load Maxima into a webapp (as managed by Jetty or
Tomcat). (By the way, if you have seen such a thing, I'd be interested
to hear about it.) So I don't know if it's crucial to load fasls from
the jar -- I had assumed that the webapp could only load stuff from
jars available to the webapp container, but maybe that's not so.

Thanks very much for your help.

Robert Dodier