[Armedbear-devel] Installing ABCL?

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Dec 2 16:55:26 UTC 2014

> On 02 Dec 2014, at 17:19, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to install ABCL
> in the standard sort of location (e.g., /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/lib, etc.)?

There is no standard installation procedure for ABCL, mainly because a) we want
to keep UNIX/Windows parity for which such abstraction is not trivial and b)
because Java doesn’t provide built-in class-platform support for determining
things easily.  We rely instead on various OS package managers to somehow package the install process.

That being said, there isn’t too much to an ABCL “install”, just a wrapper
script and two jar files (‘abcl.jar’ and ‘abcl-contrib.jar’).  The subtlety
arises from figuring out how to invoke Java, and then keeping this working when
the underlying JVM gets upgraded.

I’d be willing to give up UNIX/Windows parity for a UNIX-specific installation
script maintained as part of the ABCL distribution, but I don’t want to figure
out how to interface with an N-multiple of methods to invoke Java locally.

Maybe my fears are not well-founded.  Does anyone have suggestions for JVM
specific technology?  Maybe something like IZPack, but I’d like there to be a
non-GUI method available as well.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."