[armedbear-devel] NEWBIE

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:59:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM, emeka okafor <emeka_1978 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for the responses.
> Basically emacs + slime seem to be the standard way to write abcl programs.

It's what most people use. You can go relatively far with Eclipse and
a REPL in the console view, but Emacs + SLIME is much more tightly
integrated.

> I have used emacs some years ago but I think I will have to relearn it to be
> able to be productive again.

If it can comfort you, I've been using Emacs for years, but I never
went much farther than basic cut'n'paste, string-replace, and the few
SLIME commands that I use (load/compile a file or a single function
definition). My .emacs looks like a noob's. So, you don't have to
delve too much into Emacs if you don't want to.

> 1) You said "acbl should be a NB project natively" what do you mean by
> that?"

That you should be able to open ABCL (source) as a NetBeans project...
but actually that's not much relevant because probably you want to
just use abcl, not hack on it :P I have done both, and sometimes I mix
things.

> 2) Does anyone on the list have experience with lispbox? I read it defaults
> to clozure.

I don't, but in my experience setting up Emacs and SLIME from scratch
is simple enough on every major OS.

Alessio

--
Some gratuitous spam:

http://ripple-project.org Ripple, social credit system
http://villages.cc Villages.cc, Ripple-powered community economy
http://common-lisp.net/project/armedbear ABCL, Common Lisp on the JVM
http://code.google.com/p/tapulli my current open source projects
http://www.manydesigns.com/ ManyDesigns Portofino, open source
model-driven Java web application framework