[armedbear-devel] JFLI added to ABCL-CONTRIB

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 29 07:30:02 UTC 2012

On 5/28/12 12:09 PM, Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>> I also have my own hacked up version of jfli, if you want to have a look it
>> is here:
>
>> <https://github.com/mrohne/jfli>
>
> Works fine, thanks!
>
> So I think it would be great to include it into abcl-contrib to make
> it clear which version is maintained and working.

I have [committed this version of JFLI to ABCL-CONTRIB][1] without much
testing beyond ensuring that it loads via:

     (require :abcl-contrib)
     (require :jfli)

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13949

Contributions to ensuring that this version satisfies users needs are
solicited, particular in the following points

1)  If you are a casual user of JFLI, please try your code with the
version we have committed to trunk, reporting success or failure to the
mailing list.

2)  We should figure out which parts of [Anton's extensions][2] we
should include, especially wrt to the need for 'asm.jar' for creating
synthetic Java classes at runtime.

[2]:
https://gist.github.com/avodonosov/abcl-idea/blob/master/src/abclidea/lisp/jfli-abcl/jfli-abcl.lisp

3)  A basic test suite would be good.  Possibly one could bootstrap this
by somehow running the included examples to just verify that they load
and run correctly.  N.b. Please root ABCL-CONTRIB specific test suites
underneath 'abcl/contrib' as opposed to 'abcl/test'.

4)  A contribution to the [fine manual][3] outlining basic usage would
be nice, akin to the level we describe JSS.  I'll probably just cobble
together a stub for the abcl-1.1.0 manual, but it would definitely need
expansion who understands JFLI better than I do.

[3]:
http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/browser/trunk/abcl/doc/manual/abcl.tex

P.S.  I chose to name the extension "jfli" as opposed to "jfli-abcl", as
it should be pretty obvious to anyone running this that they are dealing
with an ABCL specific version of JFLI.  In adopting the name "jfli", we
are certainly committing to maintaining compatibility with other Lisp
implementation's use of the abstractions to the point that code that
JFLI code that runs on SBCL should run on ABCL.  If this is not a
reasonable goal, we should of course change our name to avoid confusion.

P.P.S. I confess to needing more education of the care and feeding of
JFLI so perhaps my "decisions" wrt to the commit are not the best ones,
but I wanted to get something into the ABCL trunk so that we could kick
the tires a bit.  And hopefully we can get quickly get enough patches
from JFLI from its actual users to make the version included with ABCL
canonical.