[armedbear-devel] Is anybody interested in jfli-abcl?

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Mon May 28 12:57:56 UTC 2012

28.05.2012, 16:22, "Anton Vodonosov" <avodonosov at yandex.ru>:

> If independent version of new-class is not ready, probably it's possible to
> deliver runtime-class a a contrib [...]

I've checked the ABCL sources and see that runtime-class.lisp is now
included into ABCL. So we don't even need to create a contrib for it.

Could anyone help me understand the problem with new-class, why removing
it? Namely, when the asm.jar will be needed,

What I understand now:

1. abcl-jfli function jrc calls java:jnew-runtime-class.
2. java:jnew-runtime-class needs asm.jar.

Basically, my question is when the asm.jar is needed,
during load time o fabcl-jfli or only at run time, when we call the jfli:jrc?

I see

(export 'jnew-runtime-class "JAVA")
(autoload 'jnew-runtime-class "runtime-class")

that runtime-class.lisp is present in autoloads.lisp, but I do not clearly
understand how autoloads work, that's why I ask this question.

Anyway, if the dependency on asm.jar is a load-time dependency
(in that case it's a real problem for the users who don't need
new class functionality and don't want to carry asm.jar), we
can solve it by changing the calls

(java:jnew-runtime-class other args)

(funcall (read-from-string "java:jnew-runtime-class") other args).

This will resolve compile/load time dependencies for sure.

Best regards,
- Anton