[armedbear-devel] Is anybody interested in jfli-abcl?

Alex Mizrahi alex.mizrahi at gmail.com
Wed May 23 13:06:40 UTC 2012

jfli-abcl, basically, allows one to quickly create Lisp function
wrappers for Java classes.

E.g.

(def-java-class "java.sql.DriverManager")
(use-package :|java.sql|)
(DriverManager.getConnection ...)

The benefit over java:jcall  and JSS is that it looks more-or-less like
normal Lisp function calls, pretty similar to a wrapper you could write
yourself.
Also, potentially, it might carry less runtime overhead because
everything can be resolved at compile-time.

And if you use SLIME, auto-completion works. It doesn't like mixed case,
though, so you need to write it like
(|java.sql|:drivermanager.getcollection ...)
Still, better than nothing.

As far as I can tell, jfli-abcl isn't currently maintained.
But as I'm used to jfli-abcl I maintain my own version with some fixes.

If there is any interest in jfli-abcl I could, perhaps,. publish my
version and polish it a bit.

(I'm personally not interested in new-class functionality which allows
one to create Java class from Lisp.)

(I've found this updated version:
https://gist.github.com/avodonosov/abcl-idea/blob/master/src/abclidea/lisp/jfli-abcl/jfli-abcl.lisp
But haven't yet checked if it works with latest ABCL and what are
improvements against old one.)