[armedbear-devel] asdf encodings and abcl

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:18:34 UTC 2012

> After a quick check, I don't think we define an interface.  Nor
> could I find something in SBCL to copy.  Do you have a reference to an API we can
> implement?

I need one or two functions:
* most importantly, a function
 asdf-encodings::find-implementation-encoding (encoding)
 that tells me if a keyword names a valid encoding, and if so,
 returns a proper value to pass as an :external-format.
* optionally, a function to return the list of all available encodings;
 maybe taking a keyword argument that allows to distinguish between
 actually loaded vs potentially available encodings.

>  (require 'abcl-contrib)
>  (require 'jss)
>  (jss:hashmap-to-hashtable (#"availableCharsets" 'java.nio.charset.Charset))
>
> will return a hashtable whose keys will be the allowable names for external formats.
>
> "Intermediate" because I would like to keep ASDF independent of the
> abcl-contrib mechanism, as ASDF is a requirement of ABCL-CONTRIB,
> so I'd rather that we agree on an API, and I'll implement this with
> the Java FFI primitives that JSS is based upon.

I suppose that can do for now. This currently happens in a system called
asdf-encodings that is separate from ASDF. This stricture is a good reason
to keep it separate and not merge it into ASDF as was suggested.
If you define an API, I'll change asdf-encodings to use it,
and that won't count as a reason against merging asdf-encodings into
ASDF anymore.
I don't want to do a merge before asdf-encodings is stable, anyway.

> [1]: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/nio/charset/Charset.html

Thanks for the pointer.