[armedbear-devel] See java.util.concurrent (was Re: destroy-thread and unwind-protect)

Mark Evenson evenson.not.org at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:50:12 UTC 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 23:59 , James Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Mark Evenson
> <evenson.not.org at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The [java.util.concurrent][1] package as [thread pool Executors][2]
>> that definitely don't poll, and arguably provide some of the most
>> performant queuing available for the Oracle JVM implementation.  At
>> least you need a good reason *not* to use it, as it is thoroughly
>> debugged and tested. Suggest using [JSS][3]
>
> OK thanks for the info.
>
> Just so I can evaluate my options better -- do you foresee ABCL
> behaving like the other implementations in the future? That is,
> executing cleanup forms when the protected form is halted? As I
> mentioned, this is independent (at least conceptually) of an actual
> thread death event, which happens at some unspecified point in the
> future (or not) and is uninteresting (at least to me) as long as the
> cleanup gets executed.

I think Alessio has provided good reasoning for a way forward into
a near future where ABCL matches the behavior of other implementations,
as I now think my initial analysis (and statements) was (were) a bit
uninformed.

If patches were to show up that Did the Right Thing, we would
probably immediately incorporate them into trunk.  Otherwise, we
will open a ticket for this issue, finding resources at some point
in the future to perform the necessary cleanup barring any other
effects on the implementation that its introduction would produce.