[armedbear-devel] Maxima, once again

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Fri Oct 21 00:21:35 UTC 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 15:02 , Reinhard Oldenburg wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I check the staus of ABCL every few month to see how well it runs Maxima. The findings are, that ....
> - The testsuite goes through, but ABL is more then 10 times slower than native Lisps.

Well, we win some, we lose some.  We're *faster* with CL-PPCRE than C++ on some platforms.  If you want to help dig in on the ABCL-2.0 compiler, please do.

> - However, tehre are problems with several packages, e.g. load(fmin_cobyla); fails

Does Maxima load via ASDF on other Lisp implementations, like SBCL?

> - There is still no way to produce an image file. Last year I was told that ABCL can load from URL, but I fear that doing this takes a couple of days 8which I can't afford). So is seems that there is not yet a good way to write Applets using Maxima. If anyone can produce a maxima.jar, I'd be happy.

Once you have Maxima loading via ASDF, you should be able to easily use the ABCL ASDF-JAR contrib to serialize a loaded system definition and its referenced objects to a single jar archive.

Mark