[armedbear-devel] Supporting object finalizers (to support trivial-garbage)

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 23:54:44 UTC 2011

On 13 March 2011 01:33, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the higher systems on the list of Quicklisp downloads is the
> trivial-garbage system (http://www.cliki.net/trivial-garbage).
> One of the things this package does is to provide 'normalized' access
> to object finalization functionality. I thought I'd quickly add that
> support (and did so in r13248). However, it seems our bootstrap
> compilation has now slowed down to a crawl.
> So, I'm ready to revert the commit and reopen the ticket I had opened
> to track progress. However, are you seeing the same? Do you have any
> good alternatives? I'd love some discussion on this subject:
> supporting Quicklisp downloaded packages looks like a good way to
> promote ourselves.

It's not just a slowdown problem:

     [java] Exception in thread "interpreter"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
     [java] 	at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.register(Finalizer.java:72)
     [java] 	at java.lang.Object.<init>(Object.java:20)
     [java] 	at org.armedbear.lisp.LispObject.<init>(LispObject.java:39)

The build fails for me, with the culprit apparently being the finalizer stuff.
It would perhaps be an idea worthy of investigating to not burden
every LispObject with that support, but rather try and do it as an opt-in
somehow.