[armedbear-devel] Start up message suggestion

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 18:23:35 UTC 2011

> svnversion is the right tool for this job, as it scans the entire
> working copy and produces an appropriate summary.

I just checked that TortoiseSVN doesn't have the svnversion command.
It has a SubWCRev command which works entirely different.

So, from where I stand now, I think it's ok to depend on svnversion
being on the PATH on all OSes.

However, it would be too bad if we strictly depended on having
Subversion available; especially if that would apply to our source
code distributions. If we can come up with a scheme where we can
prevent the version file from being overwritten when building from
such a tarball, I don't see any issues with such a feature anymore.