[armedbear-devel] Infinite loop loading compiled file

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:33:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Greg Baryza <baryza at intersystems.com> wrote:
> I recently became interested in the language QI.  Since it did not run on
> ABCL (it does on SBCL, Allegro, LispWorks and others), I decided to see
> what it would take to move it there.  From the QI mailing list, I found
> several others had tried on earlier versions of ABCL with inconclusive
> results.  I decided to give it a try on 0.23.1.
>
> When I tried the standard script with compiles and then loads the compiled
> files, ABCL hangs it what appears to be an infinite loop try to load one of
> the compiled files.  When I switch to just loading them in as Lisp sources,
> things seem to work (though some of the QI tests later fail).
>
> I tried the compile/load script under 0.24.0 today and the same hang happens.
>
> I have a small test case consisting only of the needed sources and a couple
> of .bat files for Windows that demonstrates the problem, but before I
> proceed further, has anyone seem anything like this.  The file in question
> DEFUNs about 85 functions.  Is that too many to provoke the "large file"
> problem I see mentioned here?

I ported Qi II to ABCL some time ago (a year?). IIRC it needed some
tweaking related to its (mis)use of the reader. I submitted the patch
to the Qi mailing list, but I don't know if it ever got applied, or if
it diverged since - I'm not a Qi user, I ported it just to get ABCL a
little publicity ;)

0.24 doesn't have the "large file" problem anymore, and anyway "large"
meant many more than 85 functions.

I'm not aware of any problem causing infinite loops when loading compiled files.

Bye,
Alessio