[armedbear-devel] Filename errors in Windows

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Jan 17 06:26:19 UTC 2011

On Jan 16, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Arie van Wingerden wrote:

> Hi,
> I just started with ABCL using the J editor on WinXP SP3.
>
> I replaced the ABCL jar in the J lib with the latest 0.23.1, but also in the old
> version ABCL 0.19 I had the same errors.
>
> I am able to create and save a very simple lisp file.
> However, when I use the menu function:
>   Mode | Compile and load file
> I get this:
>
> [1] CL-USER(3): ;;; Compiling and loading D:\src\lisp\plus.lisp ...
> #<THREAD "JLisp interpreter" {FD5428}>: Debugger invoked on condition of type
> FILE-ERROR
>  The file "D:/src/lisp/srclispplus.lisp" does not exist.
>
> It seems that somewhere under the hood the filename gets corrupted.
> Trying to change the name using double backslashes in the text box above the
> source file does have no effect.
>
> Can I change this behaviour?

From your report, it seems likely that you are encountering problems
stemming from the use of forward slash as the PATHNAME separator
on all platforms in [abcl-0.21][1] (N.B. strings with backslash
characters are normalized by the PATHNAME routines to forward slashes
so such input should be fine).  What is odd about your report, is
that abcl-0.19 does not have this "all slashes become forward
slashes" behavior, so it should not produce the same kind of error.

Unfortunately, ABCL development was split off from J quite some
time ago (three years?).  Wethe ABCL developers on armedbear-developdo
not actively test with the J source tree, nor do we make the J
releases.  If there are J developers out there who wish help bringing
the integrated ABCL release forward to solve this issue, we would
be more than happy to assist by debugging/modifying our side.

[1] http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12798

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."