[armedbear-devel] Proposed solution to the "too many functions in FASL" problem

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:18:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Ville Voutilainen
<ville.voutilainen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 January 2011 17:10, Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reverting is hard, as the merge is 8 months old, stuff has changed
>> since, and not everything should be reverted. It'll be mostly a manual
>> process. So the less stuff is reverted, the better. That's part of the
>> reason for my last proposal.
>
> If the last proposal is easier, I'm all for it. The general goal is to
> try and fix
> the huge-function problem before we release 0.24.

I implemented the proposed change in revision 13135 [1]. I saw no
noticeable increase in compilation or startup time. I was able to
compile FASLs with up to 20000 functions (with 25000 it crashed with a
OOM exception).
I also ran the test suite, and I had to fix an unrelated bug in
Package.java to make it run to completion. I have to test if
disassemble still works, and then I'd say that the change can go into
0.24 for me.

[1] http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13135

Alessio