[armedbear-devel] Error condition is too strong

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Wed Jan 12 23:58:28 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I am in the process of embedding ABCL into a web server application I
have.  While it is okay for an error to either be caught and handled,
or not handled and having the thread terminate, it definitely is not
okay for an error condition to kill the entire server.

I am executing a (load "file") command (where "file" doesn't exist)
from Java and it kills the entire server.  I tried enclosing it in a
try/catch block (I tried Exception & Throwable)  and it still killed
the server.

I then replaced the load with (without a try/catch):

    File file = null;
    file.canRead();

And the error didn't kill the server.  I just got a backtrace and the
thread ended.  (I think the error was caught higher up.)

Is ABCL calling System.exit() or doing something similar?

Thanks.

Blake McBride