[armedbear-devel] Using ABCL in Android

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Aug 18 19:47:58 UTC 2011

On 8/18/11 5:07 AM, Joe Mendoza wrote:

> Would there be another way to compile ABCL without implementing Java beans?

I've created a [patchset that compiles ABCL under android-r13][1] by
removing the parts dependent on JSR-292 scripting, the rudimentary Swing
interface and the parts that allow inspection of Java beans.

[1]: http://detroit.slack.net/~evenson/abcl/abcl-android-20110818a.diff

I haven't tried actually running the resulting code yet, as I've got to
read up up on using the Android SDK so there may well be further hurdles
to getting an ABCL interpreter running.

As Ville has noted, our compiler currently only targets the Java 5 JVM,
so ABCL will only initially run in interpreted mode on Android.
Creating the necessary abstractions to target the Dalvik runtime will
probably not be a small amount of work, but it would be very useful for
ABCL.  An implementation path might be to compile to an intermediate
format, say LLVMs', and then compile back to both the JVM and Davlik.
But such a project is probably beyond the resources of the currently
known ABCL development community.  If people are prepared to step
forward with resources in terms of either developers and/or
(potentially) cash, we could start hashing out how best to achieve this.

Idle question for the lazy web:  Is there currently no other Common Lisp
that runs on Android?