[armedbear-devel] Significant increase in build time

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Tue Oct 5 15:52:23 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I hadn't built ABCL in a little while so I checked out the latest
version today and built it.  It seemed to be significantly slower than
before so I decided to investigate.  This is what I found.

In the past I could build ABCL in 2:43.  It now takes me 4:40.  That
(IMO) represents a pretty significant change in build time.  I did a
binary search and discovered that all of the change occurred at
revision 12918 - Generic Class File Branch Merge.

In general, I could't care less about the build time unless it is
indicative of a problem that could rear its head in my application.
Where is that time being spent?  Is there a change in runtime?

I'd be real interested in this.

Thanks.

Blake McBride