[armedbear-devel] New classwriter no longer preserves Lisp source line numbers

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Fri Nov 19 08:55:03 UTC 2010

I just noticed that I no longer see Lisp source line numbers in our
backtraces.  I'm assuming this is a property of the new classwriter.
For debugging, this seems like a serious regression as we already
had a paucity of debug information (no way to inspect the frames,
no stepped, etc.)  Having the line number of the form associated
with the stack frame at least gave a bit of a clue as to where to
look for the source of a condition.

Is my presumption if the lossage stemming from the new classwriter
correct?  Would it be easy to restore?  We seem to be including the
ordinal of the top level form in  the class name (i.e.
"org.armedbear.lisp.ASDF_TMP_installer_51.execute(installer.lisp)" contains
the result of compiling the 51st top-level form in 'installer.lisp'),
so it should be fairly easy to include a single entry in the
LineNumberTable attribute linking the start of the class code with
the Lisp source.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."