[armedbear-devel] Changes committed to org.sciencecommons.lisp.protege

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat May 22 09:07:53 UTC 2010

On 5/21/10 1:26 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

[…]
> 4) Having some kind of classpath issues still. When I try
> (show-classtree "http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/iao.owl") (after loading
> my ow2 package sucessfully), which should exercise a bunch of stuff, I
> get a class not found error in the OWLAPI code.

[…]

I think this is fixed with my urn:svn.neurocommons.org:r3437 commit:  I
get the pretty Swing graphical rendering of the onotologg to appear.

OSGi's bundling rules require that all uses of packages in the core
JavaSE not in java.* have to be explicitly listed in the Import-package
statement, so this was a process of running Protege, noting the error,
adding to MANIFEST.MF, restarting, and then repeating.  I think I got
better error messages than you as I was connecting to the bundle via
SLIME, so was able to nose around in the inspector.

The only source of [OSGi documentation of any worth seems to be the
specification itself][1].  From sparse reading, I would say that things
are pretty grim for supporting the dynamic abilities of JSS code to use
other parts of Protege.  As far as I understand things, one needs to
explicitly declare uses of other bundles at compile time.  There does
seem to be some provisions for locating services, but I don't think this
is the way that Protege is coded.

[1]: http://www.osgi.org/download/r4v42/r4.core.pdf

Any sketches of use cases for how you want to extend Protege with this
thing?