[armedbear-devel] [asdf-devel] Patches for ABCL against asdf-1.641

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Mar 29 09:33:22 UTC 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Faré wrote:
[…]

>>> I suggest that either you make (:function foo) a valid second value
>>> for an output-translations list, or you make said list accept a&key
>>> function argument in addition to its two current positional arguments.
>>> But having weird non-standard vararg convention for such lists is
>>> probably a bad API. The default function would be TRANSLATE-PATHNAME
>>> and the calling convention would be the same.
>>
>> I'd favor the first proposal, as making :FUNCTION a real key argument would
>> imply that the second positional parameter is optional, whereas it is
>> actually being replaced by the (:FUNCTION ARG) parameter.  When I get time
>> to revisit the patch, I'll implement your first proposal.
>>
> I'd favor either a keyword argument or :function as a magic marker to
> be inserted in FIRST position, followed by a function designator (and
> additionally, parameters to curry?). Unless of course, you
> symmetrically accept a FUNCTION in first position to denote a
> "recognize if this matching rule applies".

I would think that we want to preserve the current ability for the user to vistually scan down the list of translations to determine what should match, so I would favor going for your second proposal.  It doesn't make sense that there be a match predicate paired with a translation pathname right?  So the two new possibilities for output translation lists would be:

  ("/**/foo/*.*" (:function FOO-OUTPUT-TRANSLATION))
  ((:function BAR-PATHNAME-P) (:function BAR-OUTPUT-TRANSLATION))

--

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."