[armedbear-devel] jar pathnames should be :ABSOLUTE

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 05:20:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> On 3/14/10 11:30 AM, Mark Evenson wrote:
>>
>> After further analysis, I concede that the directory portion of jar
>> Pathnames should be :ABSOLUTE and not :RELATIVE.  I'm not sure how long
>> such a re-implementation will take, but it's in-progress. I'd like to
>> get it finished before we release 0.19, but we'll see.
>
> […]
>
> An [implementation has been committed to trunk in r12531][1].  Having a
> test suite for the behavior made this go a lot faster than I had
> thought, and increases my confidence in the changes.
>
> This needs to be backported to 0.19 before that release.
>
> [1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12531
>

> --
> "A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there
> is nothing to compare to it now."

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this.

Things load up now, however there is something that confuses me:

I see load messages like the following (note that there are two "!/"
in the pathname.

; Loaded #P"jar:jar:file:/Users/alanr/Desktop/lsw.jar!/lsw/owl/tests/armedbear-0.20.0-dev-darwin-unknown/test-suite.abcl!/"
(0.179 seconds)

Describe shows that the device is a list of the jar path and
directory, and that there is no directory.

CL-USER(6): (describe
#P"jar:jar:file:/Users/alanr/Desktop/lsw.jar!/lsw/owl/tests/armedbear-0.20.0-dev-darwin-unknown/test-suite.abcl!/")
#P"jar:jar:file:/Users/alanr/Desktop/lsw.jar!/lsw/owl/tests/armedbear-0.20.0-dev-darwin-unknown/test-suite.abcl!/"
is an object of type PATHNAME:
  HOST         NIL
  DEVICE       (#P"/Users/alanr/Desktop/lsw.jar"
#P"lsw/owl/tests/armedbear-0.20.0-dev-darwin-unknown/test-suite.abcl")
  DIRECTORY    NIL
  NAME         NIL
  TYPE         NIL
  VERSION      NIL

ps. I think I'm losing on the jar combination thing. It looks like
(still need to confirm this) that there are classes called EDU.xxxx as
well as ones called "edu.yyyy". These get smushed together into one
"edu" directory because of OS X default case-insensitive file system,
and when jarred back together one of them loses. Sigh. Might have to
take another approach :(. Hmm, wonder if I can create a case sensitive
disk image on the fly. Or maybe jarjar
(http://code.google.com/p/jarjar/) is the thing to use...

-Alan