[armedbear-devel] win32 fix for TAGS ant target

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat Jul 17 06:39:04 UTC 2010

On 7/17/10 12:47 AM, Matt Seddon wrote:
> Before I can start actually fixing the TAGS target, I figured making it
> run under win32 at all would help :)
>
> The problem is that with parallel="true", ant seems to send too many
> parameters to CreateProcess, which then sobs about error=87: the
> parameter is invalid.
>
> The attached patch addresses this issue by specifying maxparallel to
> prevent argument list overflow, and appending the results to the TAGS
> file incrementally. This results in two invokations to etags, rather
> than one.

For win32 invocations of TAGS, I use the one packaged with Xemacs in
Cygwin (although I use it with GNU Emacs), which doesn't produce the
error which you encountered.  This makes some amount of sense as it is
the DOS command prompt which has a limit on total command length from
what I remember, whereas cygwin is running bash.  Could you give a few
more details about your win32 development environment?  In such a
development environment, would you plausibly have an editor that could
use the TAGS table?

Your patch seems to work fine under OS X, so I would have no trouble
with committing it (I might change '-a' to '--append' to match the other
argument) if you wish.