[armedbear-devel] Patches to fix loading from JARs

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Jan 24 14:53:18 UTC 2010

Attached find patches to ABCL trunk to fix the problems with JAR files.
  Additionally I have included my notes on the design which deviates a
little from my original posting of a couple weeks ago.  The main change
from that design is that the PATHNAME DEVICE is now possiblly a proper
list of jars so that

   #p"jar:jar:file:foo.jar!/bar.abcl!/bar._"

constructs a Pathname that has the layout

Pathname: {
   device: (
     Pathname { name: "foo"; type: "jar"};
     Pathname { name: "bar"; type: "abcl"};
   );
   name: "bar";
   type: "_";
}

This patch implements support for specifying ABCL FASLs from JAR files
to the [documented level for JarURLConnection][1] for the LOAD,
TRUENAME, and PROBE-FILE commands.

so
	CL-USER> (load #p"jar:file:invoke.jar!/a/b/invoke")

will search invoke.jar for an entry for "a/b/invoke.abcl",
"a/b/invoke._", and "a/b/invoke.lisp", loading the first one that it
finds.  Actually it tries to compare timestamps, but I don't think that
works so well with JAR entries.

This patch needs to be tested under Windows when I get a chance where I
expect there to be easily fixed errors around the use of the "!/"
separator in the pathname namestring syntax.

Internally this patch reworks most of the loading routines to use
Pathnames instead of strings, and reduceing a lot of the complexity in
looking for the correct file.

There are both Java based and Lisp based tests included.  The Lisp based
tests only run under UNIX, as I use a shell script to construct the JAR
for testing.

[1]:  http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/JarURLConnection.html

   ---

About the only disadvantage for the current patch is that I had to
remove the use of ZipCache for entries as I was developing as it didn't
make much sense.  I haven't really noticed too much of a time difference
for loading or compiling ABCL.

Comments?  Once I get things tested under Windows, and play around with
the loading from http support, I intend to commit to trunk.