[armedbear-devel] trouble with Maxima test suite

Robert Dodier robert_dodier at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 05:30:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have updated ABCL from svn and rebuilt it and updated
Maxima and rebuilt it with ABCL.
It seems to mostly work except that in a new instance
of Maxima launched via

(require 'asdf)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :maxima)
(run)

I find that run_testsuite(); pretty soon runs into some
errors and grinds to a halt at rtest14 (pretty early in
the test suite).

However I find that load(orthopoly); before run_testsuite();
seems to avoid the problem. I don't remember that this
work-around was necessary in previous versions of ABCL;
I probably last updated ABCL a couple of months ago.

orthopoly is a Lisp package which is supposed to be
loaded automatically when any of the functions in the
package are called for the first time, e.g.
$hermite has the 'autoload property.

Another clue? When I enter quit(); after the unsuccessful
run_testsuite(); I get a Java exception as follows.
quit();
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Current state = CODING_END, new state = CODING
        at java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder.throwIllegalStateException(CharsetDecoder.java:951)
        at java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder.decode(CharsetDecoder.java:537)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.util.DecodingReader.read(DecodingReader.java:261)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.util.DecodingReader.read(DecodingReader.java:249)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.util.DecodingReader.read(DecodingReader.java:227)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.Stream._readChar(Stream.java:1683)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.Stream.readChar(Stream.java:1513)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.Stream$16.execute(Stream.java:2393)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.Symbol.execute(Symbol.java:798)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.LispThread.execute(LispThread.java:596)
        at org.armedbear.lisp.mdebug_20.execute(mdebug.lisp:282)

(etc ... I've suppressed the rest of the stack trace.)

If you can suggest some additional info I could try to
gather to aid debugging, I'll be glad to do so.

Thanks for your help, and all your terrific work.

Robert Dodier