[armedbear-devel] asdf loading from jar files

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 12:53:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/10 7:48 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> […]
>> I take some of this back. I can merge with the source for directory,
>> but truename and probe-file are implemented in java and I don't like
>> writing java :)
>
> Neither do we, believe it or not!
>
> I know you used the ADVISE facility to implement what you needed for
> "jar:file" but I'd either like to move the existing PATHNAME-stuff
> completely into Lisp, or figure out how to do this in Java.

It would be extremely nice to be able to move some of the current Java
stuff into Lisp. To do that effectively, I think we need something
like ECL does: build an ecl_min in C (in our case abcl_min in Java)
which implements a rather small subset of Lisp. The rest of the system
can be based off the minimal lisp and implement the full CL spec.
However, this approach would need a good design. Without one, I think
we'll be lost.

> Unfortunately there is a fair amount of special casing in the ABCL java
> implementation of PATHNAME for various Windows/UNIX problems for which
> we have no tests to ensure that a replacement implementation in Lisp
> would successfully pass.  So, I'm looking at how to get "jar:file"
> working completely on the Java side.

That's probably - in the short term - the best thing to do, yea.