[armedbear-devel] User-extensible sequences?

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Wed Jan 6 23:09:18 UTC 2010

Unfortunately, I'm currently busy finishing my Ph.D. thesis.

Afterwards (early March), I plan to do the following things:

- Write a manual that gets Java programmers started with ABCL as quickly as possible. I'm currently learning CL and there is a lot of potential for speeding up the learning process. Even though I know a bit of Scheme, I'm a complete CL newbie, so my perspective should help here.

- Evangelize ABCL. ABCL could become a lot more popular than it is, especially considering the growing popularity of Clojure. I prefer ABCL to Clojure, because I don't like some of the decisions that Clojure has taken. I am one of InfoQ's "Most Valued Bloggers" and think that their audience would be interested in small blog posts pointing out cool things you can do with CL that Java cannot do.

- Write a framework for Ajax programming that is based on ABCL, Parenscript and the RDF database Sesame. It is supposed to become a mix of Ruby on Rails and GWT, with an RDF database backend. The next version of Hyena [1] will be based on this framework (and/or actually be that framework).

In general, I'm amazed how well ABCL works and how quickly it progresses.

The two greatest current weaknesses that I can see (mind you, on the road to true perfection) are:

- Java integration. In both directions. The ABCL killer feature is that it runs on the JVM. If façades to Java libraries were easier to write, one could be even more productive with it.
- Concurrency. I don't like Clojure-style concurrency. I would expect fork-join and actors to be relatively simple to add to ABCL, given the direction in which Java 7 is going.

Let me know if I should elaborate on any of these points. All other things that I can think of seem to be already worked on: Slime, ASDF-install-like package installer (ASDF-install itself? Lispy?), and (now) better collections.

[1] http://hypergraphs.de/hyena/

Axel.Rauschmayer at ifi.lmu.de
http://www.pst.ifi.lmu.de/~rauschma/