[armedbear-devel] packaging external libs with abcl

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Sep 21 10:11:58 UTC 2009

On 9/20/09 6:32 PM, Matthew D. Swank wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:12:48 +0200
> Mark Evenson<evenson at panix.com>  wrote:
>
>> Why not package the library code in ASDF itself, using ASDF's
>> dependency mechanism to pull in the necessary code?  For packaging
>> JARs with Java code as ASDF entries, [Alan Ruttenberg's JSS
>> extension][1] allows the specification of JAR files in ADSF under
>> ABCL.  The [following snippet][asdf-jar]
>
> Doesn't this still extract the components in the jar to the file
> system (I am trying to do this on the appengine), or does this use the
> new jar path functionality (e.g. (load
> "jar:file:///PATH/TO.jar!/foo")) in rev-12141?

No, JSS loads code straight from the JAR files, currently it can only
reference Java classes.  JSS uses the Bean Shell custom classpath loader
to dynamically add JAR files to the classpath as represented Lisp-side
as CL-USER:*ADDED-TO-CLASSPATH*.  What that syntax shows is ABCL under
JSS dynamically modifying the classpath to include additional JARs after
starting up (in my example, JARs containing a semantic web reasoner from
STI Innsbruck known as IRIS).  Practically what this means is that one
just has to specify abcl.jar, jscheme.jar, and bsh-2.0b4.jar on ABCL's
initial classpath, after which you can programatically add additional
JARs via ASDF systems.  This is very useful when using ABCL to "wrap"
Java libraries with a Lisp layer.  Since you indicate in a separate post
that Google App Engine does not allow even read-only access to the
filesystem, I suspect that this won't help with your problem.

N.B. there is a Ant build property named 'additional.jars' which
includes additional JARs when creating the ABCL wrapper to facilitate
this kind of interaction if you find yourself *always* needing to refer
to JAR files from ABCL.  I usually create a 'build.properties' file with
references to my local copies 'jscheme.jar' and 'bsh-2.04.jar' in my
top-level ABCL build directory.  That way, when I need the JSS
extension, I can just load it in via ASDF.

[svn 12141] allows one to start referring to Lisp code contained in JARs
other than 'abcl.jar', but I need to get a few more improvements into
ABCL before it becomes a reasonable method to use ASDF to wrap Lisp code
contained in JARs.  The first improvement would be to allow
MERGE-PATHNAMES to work with jar:file pathnames so one could specify
relative pathnames to package an ASDF system within a JAR file.  The
second improvement would to be use wildcard jar:file pathnames to
specify things like "the first JAR in the CLASSPATH which has a
'!/foo.asd' entry".  The third thing would probably be to create an ABCL
custom classpath loader like that provided in Bean Shell (and used by
JSS as CL-USER:*ADDED-TO-CLASSPATH*) so that dynamically adding
references to JARs while running ABCL would be easy.  After all this, I
think deploying ABCL applications in JAR files would be a lot simpler.