[armedbear-devel] eol-style problem with abcl-src-0.15.tar.gz

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 07:28:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Mark Evenson<evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/09 11:30 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> […]
>>> The svn:eol-style is now set to 'LF' in SVN for 'abcl.in', which does
>>> the "right thing" when building the source tar balls, so abcl-0.16
>>> should be ok, as long as whoever builds the release doesn't somehow
>>> override this local SVN setting
>>
>> Well, I haven't changed the local settings while creating any of the
>> releases, but abcl.in is part of the abcl.dist.misc target, which is
>> part of one of the FIXCRLF elements. Could that be the issue?
>
> Unless you run the build with the 'abcl.source.eol' property set to
> something other than 'asis' there should be no change of eol from whst
> comes out of SVN.  Currently, the 'fixcrlf' command in the
> 'abcl.source.prepare' runs with the 'abcl.source.eol' set to 'asis'
> which does nothing in the transformation.  As I remember the
> implementation history here, I developed this target around the same
> time we moved to SVN, so we ended up fixing everything in the SVN
> properties, instead of relying on Ant.

Which is nice :-)

> I think the EOL setting in the repository can be overridden by
> configuration options in the SVN client, so this might be another source
> of error.  And I think using the cygwin SVN client under win32 gets you
> UNIX line-endings 'LF' for files with svn:eol-style set to 'native',
> while using the native SVN release (or TortoiseSVN) gets you 'CRLF'.

Right. The Subversion release manager uses a command line option to
check out the sources from the repository where native is interpreted
as CRLF for the .zip distribution and as LF for the .tar distribution.

> On the basis of so much possible variation, I guess I would recommend we
> start using <fixcrlf> with more restrictive defensive settings.
>
> Would these be:
>
>   LF -- 'abcl.in' as it is always used under a UNIX-like shell
>
>   CRLF -- 'abcl.bat.in' as it is always used under a DOS command shell
>
>   ?? -- All other source files

> But what value should '??' be?  One possibility is that it would be 'LF'
> for 'abcl.source.tar', and 'CRLF' for 'abcl.source.zip', which would
> take a bit of work with the Ant targets.

I think I'd like the value of ?? to be dependent on the distribution
archive (CRLF for zip and LF for tar.gz). How difficult would it be to
build that into build.xml?