[armedbear-devel] Change the default action of 'build.xml' to 'abcl.clean abcl.wrapper'?

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Oct 26 19:48:28 UTC 2009

[Including armedbear-devel@ for potential wider dicussion.]

On 10/26/09 1:05 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
[…]

> BTW: I'm always doing complete builds; are you too?

Yeah, in fact I think the much more common use case of the build system
is 'ant abcl.clean abcl.wrapper'.  I almost always want a full build
from scratch, which is now taking slightly under two minutes for my
MacBook Pro laptop.  A couple years ago, a full build took something
like five minutes from what I remember, so there was more of a need for
incremental builds.

What's your usage pattern like?  Maybe I should make 'abcl.clean
abcl.wrapper' the default target, where the old behavior could be
re-restablished via setting an Ant property.  This is contrary to the
behavior of most build systems that I have experienced, but since we
could write a banner message like "Starting build from scratch; set
'abcl.build.incremental' in 'build.properties' to enable incremental
builds in the future." Thoughts?