[armedbear-devel] ABCL on Google App Engine (progress)

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:00:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Today, on IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net/#abcl), Alex and I have been
>> working on getting ABCL to run on GAE (Google App Engine).
>> We didn't complete our work, but since this mailing list has a wider
>> audience than the IRC channel, I thought I'd forward our progress (his
>> typing) to the mailing list. Possibly there are additional people
>> interested. If others want to join in this effort to get ABCL running
>> on GAE, I could commit the code to the examples directory in the
>> repository. From there, we could make this a joint effort.
> Well, I kept on experimenting yesterday. I downloaded the GAE SDK and
> have been trying to run the code in the local GAE development server.
> This morning I saw my first "Hello World" in my browser!
> Conclusion: it works! But it's not ready to be uploaded. I shortcut
> the problem of finding the fasls to be loaded: I hard coded the local
> HD path for now. Which immediately indicates the next step to be
> taken.
>> One of the things we were running into is that we knew how to get a
>> stream to the first-servlet.abcl file, but not how to get a path/URL
>> to it. Can anybody contribute by answering how we should? When we
>> know, we can do with the existing public functions, if there's not
>> way, we need to make additional functions public.
> If you replace the 2 files by the same names in the zip I sent
> yesterday by the 2 class files that I'm sending today, it should work
> for you too.

I found that the files in WEB-INF will *only* be available as
resources, which means we'll need to make it possible to load file
contents off streams. That's no problem: there are routines already to
do that, but so far they have been private to the Load class. I'll
change the accessibility later today. After that, it should be
possible to run the code both in the local server as well as on the
App Engine infrastructure.

Good progress!



More information about the armedbear-devel mailing list