[armedbear-devel] ABCL on Google App Engine (progress)

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 06:20:40 UTC 2009

Hi!

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Today, on IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net/#abcl), Alex and I have been
> working on getting ABCL to run on GAE (Google App Engine).
>
> We didn't complete our work, but since this mailing list has a wider
> audience than the IRC channel, I thought I'd forward our progress (his
> typing) to the mailing list. Possibly there are additional people
> interested. If others want to join in this effort to get ABCL running
> on GAE, I could commit the code to the examples directory in the
> repository. From there, we could make this a joint effort.

Well, I kept on experimenting yesterday. I downloaded the GAE SDK and
have been trying to run the code in the local GAE development server.
This morning I saw my first "Hello World" in my browser!

Conclusion: it works! But it's not ready to be uploaded. I shortcut
the problem of finding the fasls to be loaded: I hard coded the local
HD path for now. Which immediately indicates the next step to be
taken.

> One of the things we were running into is that we knew how to get a
> stream to the first-servlet.abcl file, but not how to get a path/URL
> to it. Can anybody contribute by answering how we should? When we
> know, we can do with the existing public functions, if there's not
> way, we need to make additional functions public.

If you replace the 2 files by the same names in the zip I sent
yesterday by the 2 class files that I'm sending today, it should work
for you too.