[armedbear-devel] Proposed patch for ticket #58 (inspection of Java objects)

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:07:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Alessio Stalla<alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Alan
> Ruttenberg<alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just fyi - Michael Travers wrote the beginnings of swing based
>> inspector for java that I use in LSW for productive work. Anyone is
>> welcome to grab it and improve it or just steal ideas or code. It's
>> at:
>>
>> http://mumble.net:8080/svn/lsw/trunk/inspect/
>
> Very interesting! Actually the inspector I have begun working on is
> more of a sample/test for the Swing library I'm coding. It mostly
> re-uses what's already in abcl and just packages it in a GUI. It seems
> Mike's is more powerful, as it also knows about rdf, and maybe more
> (I've just given it a quick look). I also see that he wrote his own
> little Swing abstraction for the inspector: is LSW itself a GUI
> application, or just the inspector?

LSW is my tools for manipulating OWL and using various semantic web
technologies in abcl. It does a bunch of stuff, but does have, as one
component, an ontology browser based on the prefuse
(http://prefuse.org) package (see pretty picture here:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/LSW) and another graphical tools for debugging
reasoner performance based on some of the tools that Mike wrote (which
in turn use some of the prefuse base)

The ontology browser is very much written for *me* and is the typical
agglomeration of functionality without coherent design. It could use a
serious re-engineer, but might have snippets of use to you. See
http://mumble.net:8080/svn/lsw/trunk/owl/graph.lisp

The bit for the other tool is in
http://mumble.net:8080/svn/lsw/trunk/owl/abox.lisp

> (just curious - I'd like to see as
> many abcl+Swing applications as possible in order to improve my
> library).
> In any case, I'll consider stealing some code :) I have defined a
> little object-description abstraction, so I'm not tied to abcl's own
> inspector infrastructure only, and I can easily plug in new types of
> objects to be inspected. And of course, I'll share my code - it's not
> published yet, but I plan to set up a common-lisp.net project soon,
> even if the library is still not much more than a sketch.

Looking forward to seeing (and using/stealing from it ;-)

Regards,
Alan