[armedbear-devel] Hunchentoot and ABCL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Dec 28 14:04:13 UTC 2009

On 12/28/09 7:43 AM, Alessio Stalla wrote:
[…]
> I believe Hunchentoot does not currently work on abcl, since it
> depends on flexi-streams which depends on trivial-gray-streams which
> iirc doesn't support abcl.
[…]

Actually, I believe that a Hunchentoot working with ABCL is not that
difficult to achieve.  This is a project that I have long worked on in a
piecemeal fashion.

Fixing trivial-gray-streams to work with ABCL is pretty easy, and I have
patches for this that I think work with the latest incarnation of ABCL's
Gray streams (we moved some symbols around somewhere in 2009).  More
problematic is getting FLEXI-STREAMS working correctly as it fails a
bunch of tests in Microsoft Windows Cyrillic code-planes whose cause has
never really been that clear to me.

I even got Hunchentoot working at one point by writing the necessary
multi-threaded hook.  But I wasn't satisfied with some aspect of my port
(maybe it was the FLEXI-STREAMS problems), so I left the code for the
proverbial next day which never came.

Now that we have a shot to use the [JNA-based CFFI port by Luís Oliveria
][1] to get Hunchentoot's SSL stuff working, it makes more sense to try
to push my work through to the end.

Its going to take a few days for me to look through my code, see what
still works, and publish the necessary patches with a decent writeup so
maybe I can get some help with the FLEXI-STREAMS problems.
Unfortunately, I am traveling back to Europe tomorrow, so time is a bit
short.  Maybe I'll have some to show around the New Year.

Mark

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/ticket/14#comment:3