[armedbear-devel] Release planning: two month intervals, but which months?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 21:55:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Mark Evenson<evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/09 9:32 AM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> […]
>
> Your reasoning of releasing every two months on odd months is
> impeccable, with weekends being the further icing on the cake.
>
>> The second option would make any committer a release manager, if we
>> decided to do that [because we would commit the releases to our
>> repository, which automatically updates our site]. The reason our
>> downloads are currently hosted on SF is that they provide nice
>> download stats. If we decide we don't need those or that we can create
>> those stats ourselves on c-l.net, there's no reason to continue with
>> SF.
>
> I'd go for releasing from common-lisp.net, even though stats are nice,
> so we can keep to the bi-monthly release schedule no matter what is
> going on in people's lives.  If ABCL ever gets popular, we will have
> multiple distribution sites anyways.  Already the FreeBSD port mirrors
> our 0.0.10 release in the distfiles.  And I stash a version of the
> release on GoogleCode under the 'abcl-dynamic-install' project.   So the
> idea we know an exact number of downloads is always a bit of a fiction
> anyways.
>
> But it would be a shame to lose reporting on the main distribution site.
>  What sort of provisions are there to get logs from common-list.net?

I just had a look and all the logs - starting 2007 - are still there.
They are root:adm, which means that I can't look at them, but if we
were to write routines to parse them and create stats for each
project, I suppose we could get a job like that scheduled. Ofcourse,
it's always good to discuss things with the admins before we invest in
a thing like that.

> And what about the GPG signatures for the source distributions?  I see
> such files on sf.net now, but I can't seem to decode them.  Is this
> something that SourceForge adds automatically?

No :-)

I create those files when I create a release. The command to use is
(assuming you have a GPG key):

  gpg -b -a <file-name>

the output is <file-name>.asc which is the (detached) signature of
<file-name>. See more on http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x135.html

HTH,